-->
no
no

How to Sew a Refashioned Top From Trousers

33 comments
How to Sew a Refashioned Top From Trousers


I had a beautiful pair of cotton trousers which shrunk even though I had followed the laundry instructions to a tee (or maybe I grew a few centimeters!)

Initially I wanted to upcycle them into shorts, or perhaps even refashion them into a bag. But I had a wedding dinner coming up and I thought, "Why not make them into a top?" It took me a while but I ended up combining it with an old pair of black office trousers.

refashioning trousers


#1 Make Shorts
Well, this was the easy part! I cut my trousers to become a pair of mid-thigh length shorts. I carefully hemmed them. This tutorial is tells you how to do it.

refashion trousers

#2 Cut Trouser Leg into Panels
I cut open each trouser leg at the seams and then sewed them together so that I got one long rectangle. I also opened up the seams of a pair of black trousers but this time I cut the panels in two and sewed them to the print panel (see images below). I now had two panels each with a wide black trim.

refashion trousers

refashion trousers

#3 Combine Panels
This is the part where I used my mannequin. I took one of the panels and made it into a tube, then I draped the other panel over the tube and sewed it down in the middle except for a small loop through which I would tie it around the neck with the belt of the black trousers. You could replace it with a thick choker, black sash or even necklace.


refashion trousers

refashion trousers

Here is a graphic with all the instructions summarised!

refashion trousers


Here I am wearing it



Here I am with my friends at the wedding.... the only picture of us... and it was in the ladies washroom! Well, it was the Fullerton Hotel.



You might like this tutorial!


author profile image
Abdelghafour

Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book.

33 comments

  1. I love what you do to upcycle things. I never would have thought of this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very talented! I that you re-use. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, Mary, so sweet of you to say.

      Delete
  3. This is just one of the cutest tops I've ever seen. You could sell this at any store. I love that you upcycled this! You make me want to learn to sew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliments! :-) Hope you start your own sewing journey.

      Delete
  4. So fun! Love reading your blog and seeing how you repurpose clothing! Especially something like a pair of pants with a great print like these! I hope you had fun at the wedding! Thanks for sharing this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we had fun. I was very teary eyed too as the couple had been together for a long time and had put up their story on a video montage.

      Delete
  5. I love this! The silhouette looks great on you by the way. You are so talented Agy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! Great Job! You are very crafty! I would have never thought to make a top out of my trousers. Thank you for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute! I really like the blue pattern on this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome and unique piece. I just LOVE how you upcycle thing. You're so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome work! I'd love you to come over and join my weekly link up!

    http://www.sydneyfashionhunter.com/2015/08/the-wednesday-pants-48-citrus-crush.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I missed it. I'll join this week. Thank you :-)

      Delete
  10. Holy cow, you are incredibly talented! My idea of upcycling is writing my shopping list on a used envelope!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a cool idea. I would have never thought of upcycling, in fact I've never heard of it until now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your creations blow my mind!!!
    I would never say they have been refashioned. I adore it.
    Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your transformations. This one is great because it's so doable with any pair of trousers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stella! Yes, that's so true with the trousers part.

      Delete
  14. Such a stylish top! You really don't let anything go to waste, do you? :)

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. You certainly think outside the square, Agy. A very creative refashion.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool top, love how you did this. It looks so original!

    Do you have bloglovin?! Let's follow each other?

    xx Falasha
    Bite My Fashion ll Instagram ll Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, you are very talented! I wish I could get the hang of sewing...my grandmother tried to teach me but i just didn't have the patience for it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so amazingly creative! That top looks so nice. I'll have to show this to my daughter, she likes to re-use and re-do clothes we are no longer using.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice, looking forward to seeing more from you in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is fantastic Agy! <3 I recently upsized some printed pants too! But I love your matching top too! <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is an amazing transformation! How clever, too:-) Thanks for sharing with us at Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Agy, this is gorgeous and looks just amazing on you! I love the way it looks with a cardigan over it, too. I'm a little confused how you put it together, how the two tubes fit together, but I'm sure I could figure something out if I were to try it. Pinning! :) Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. The drapey part is connected at the top of the tube with 2 lines of stitching. A bit difficult to explain. I think I should have done a video!

      Delete

no
no